CBD has become popular among those looking for ways to manage sleep issues. Although CBD has little to no psychoactive effects, it's thought to provide relief from stress and anxiety, which is a major culprit of sleep-related issues.
Some studies suggest that higher levels of CBD can have a sedative effect, providing feelings of relaxation and calm. This further suggests a role for CBD as a sleep aid.
There are many different medications and treatments available to those with sleeping issues. Some of these solutions come with undesirable side effects or addictive properties, making them less preferable than others. In addition to this, not all individuals want to rely on medication to sleep through the night, so finding alternative methods can be an attractive option.
How Does CBD Promote Sleep?
CBD interacts with serotonin receptors in the brain to promote feelings of calmness and relaxation. It may also help reduce pain, which is often a source of chronic sleep issues.
CBD also works well with melatonin, a hormone that regulates our sleep cycle. While our bodies produce melatonin naturally, it can also be found as an over-the-counter dietary supplement. For this reason, some CBD products that specifically target sleep contain melatonin. When combined, CBD and melatonin work together to promote a healthy sleep cycle.
What Does the Research Show?
Several studies have looked at the sleep-promoting effects of CBD. Here are some of the key findings:
- CBD may help reduce cortisol levels. High cortisol levels are linked to insomnia and poor sleep quality.
- CBD may help reduce anxiety, which can help promote quality sleep in those who suffer from anxiety-related sleep disorders.
- CBD may help reduce REM behavior disorder in those with Parkinson's disease, which can stop individuals from acting out their dreams and disrupting sleep.
- CBD may improve sleep quality in those who have excessive daytime sleepiness disorder.
How Much CBD Should I Take For Sleep?
The ideal dosage of CBD depends on several factors, including what type of product you're taking, your weight, and your metabolism. In general, you should always follow the dosage instructions provided on the product label.
Reputable CBD products should always label their products so you can easily tell how many milligrams of CBD is in each serving. If your chosen product doesn't have this information on the label, consider this a red flag.
Start by taking a lower dose of 10 to 20 mg per day. It’s important to start slow and experiment with the effects. If you’re desired results aren’t achieved after taking this lower dose for at least one week, begin to increase the dose gradually.
How to Use CBD Oil for Sleep
The form of CBD you take comes down to personal preference, but some forms promote sleep better than others.
If you struggle with getting a good night's rest, consider using a CBD product that contains melatonin. As mentioned earlier, CBD and melatonin work well together to promote a restful night's sleep.
Here's some general guideline on how to use a CBD tincture for sleep:
- Start with the lowest possible dose recommended by the manufacturer
- Take the oil 30 minutes before you'd like to fall asleep
- Place the oil under your tongue for at least 60 seconds before swallowing
- Relax! Let the tincture do its job
If pain is keeping you up at night, a topical CBD product is worth a try! Candoyne CBD Pain Gel contains powerful ingredients that help relieve sore muscles and joints instantly. Its proven formula goes to work quickly, so you can get the rest you deserve.
Canodyne CBD Pain Gel is easy to apply:
- Make sure your skin is clean and dry.
- Dispense a small amount of CBD Pain Gel onto fingertips
- Rub the product over the affected area until fully absorbed
- Start with two applications daily and increase gradually, if needed
How Do I Know Whether I Can Trust My CBD Product?
Finding a reputable CBD product in today's market is no easy task. Because the industry lacks proper regulations, some companies use misleading marketing tactics and sell products that contain chemicals or ingredients not listed on the label.
Before you buy a CBD product, always do your research. Look at the company's website to see whether they test their products using third-party labs. Lab testing isn't mandatory, but the best CBD products are always tested to ensure high quality.
Reputable CBD companies like Canodyne always:
- Use high-quality ingredients
- Opt for third-party lab testing
- Manufacture in small batches to ensure the highest standards
- List product information clearly on the label
Should I Take CBD To Help Me Sleep?
The best way to determine if CBD will help you sleep is to try it for yourself. See how you feel after taking a product and whether its ingredients work for you.
If you don't know where to start, Canodyne has a full line of CBD products that may help with your sleep management. Whether pain, anxiety, or another factor is disrupting your sleep— there's a CBD product for you.
CBD products are meant to supplement a healthy lifestyle, not replace it. We always recommend that you talk to your doctor before adding any dietary supplements into your routine.