CBD is a popular supplement that can be used topically or taken orally. CBD topical products are applied to the skin and absorbed through layers of fat, whereas oral CBD products must pass through the digestive system before reaching your bloodstream.
The question on many people's minds is whether topical CBD can actually be absorbed into your skin, and if so, how?
Let’s talk about how CBD works, the difference between topical and oral CBD, and whether CBD is safe for your skin.
How Does CBD Work?
CBD, or cannabidiol, is a chemical compound found in the hemp plant. CBD doesn't cause the psychoactive high that comes from THC because it has less than 0.03% THC content. This means you won't experience any kind of mental state change when using CBD products.
When applied to your skin through lotions, creams, oils, or gels—topical CBD products work by being absorbed through layers of fat tissue in the body and into the capillaries beneath them. From there they are distributed around your system to wherever else they need to go for healing purposes.
What is the Difference Between Topical and Oral CBD?
Topicals don't enter the bloodstream as oral products do. With that being said, topicals can feel more potent. This is because they are applied locally, and often a little goes a long way. You don’t have to use massive amounts of the product to see results.
For example, you can rub a thin layer of topical CBD onto the bottoms of your feet to help ease aching joints and muscles quickly. Some topical CBD products, like Cabodyne CBD Gel, have additional ingredients that promote immediate pain relief such as menthol and camphor. This causes a sensation similar to Icy Hot, with an extra boost of CBD.
Is CBD Safe for the Skin?
CBD is safe for use on the skin. It doesn't get you high since it's non-psychoactive. Studies have found that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties which can help with healing from chronic pain or inflammation, such as arthritis. However, while there are minimal reported side effects from using topical CBD products - different people react to CBD in different ways. Just as with medication, it's possible to react to CBD poorly.
What Conditions is Topical CBD Best For?
Topical CBD produces targeted effects, making it an excellent product for localized pain. Many conditions that respond positively to topical CBD include:
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Chronic pain
- Plantar fasciitis
How to Apply Topical CBD for Maximum Absorption
Topical CBD can be applied to the skin in a number of different ways. For best results:
- Use just a thin layer of gel, cream, lotion, or oil on the skin. Applying more than that can prevent CBD from being absorbed properly.
- Make sure to use your product as directed and avoid touching it with dirty hands.
- Apply up to 4 times a day, depending on recommendations from your doctor or dosing instructions on the product’s label.
- For the best results, use regularly as part of your daily wellness routine.
Where Can I Purchase Topical CBD Products?
You can purchase topical CBD products from a variety of sources. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that not all CBD products are created equal.
With the influx of retailers, you can likely find a store near your home that sells CBD products. But how do you know if they are high-quality? There are a few key things to look for when purchasing CBD products.
- Check the ingredients list on the label. If it’s not clear, ask for more details about what it contains and why they included those ingredients.
- Find out where their hemp plants were sourced from: domestically or internationally? You can also visit their website so you have some transparency into how your product was manufactured.
- Check the website to find out whether the products are 100% THC-free to ensure you get all the benefits of CBD, without the euphoric effects.
Canodyne CBD Gel is a great option for those searching for a THC-free product made in an FDA-registered and audited facility. Canodyne CBD Gel is a pharmaceutical-grade, non-toxic product with additional pain-relieving ingredients that deliver fast results.
Find Out What You’ve Been Missing...
Topical CBD pain gel is formulated with 500 mg of THC-free CBD isolate to penetrates deep into the muscle tissue, delivering relief where you need it most. If you're in search of an all-natural solution to manage your chronic pain or skin condition, give our products a try!